Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dealing Truth

BETWEEN THEM
Part 57

Shriya's mother was all smiles as she watched Shradha. It gave her a certain relief that she was there in town. Sometimes when she missed Shriya, she could call upon Shradha. And Shradha always visited whenever she could take time off.

"How is the teaching going? And how about your research?"

It was Hemanth who answered. "She is really enjoying it. Too many good looking research scholars there..... Sometimes I rue my decision to have gotten into this job..... Might have had more fun 'researching'."

They all laughed. That is, all, except Shradha. She was concentrating on her coffee.

"What happened Shradz? You seem tired."

"It's Shriya, I actually came here to talk about her."
She sighed. It was better to be direct. Only, she did not know how to get on from here. She waited.

"Shriya? I know, she got so lonely there. When she told me she quit, I was strangely only happy that she was getting back. Call it mother's emotions."

"It is more than mere loneliness."

"Meaning?"

This was getting tough. She hoped Hemanth would suddenly disappear. It was suddenly difficult talking with him there.

He understood, and got up.

"Hey, you people talk it over. I got to make a call. I will wait in the lawn. Call me when you finish."

He left.

Mythili, Shriya's mother was still sitting straight in her chair, waiting for Shradha to continue.


"She liked someone and....... "

"What? You don't mean to say she had a live-in or something. I know Shri won't, she just isn't that type."

"Oh no...no no..... She would rather be the last person on Earth for that. It is more simpler and yet more complex."

"Relax, child. Tell me."

Somehow, in halting words and falling tones, Shradha spelled out everything.


At the end of it, Mythili spoke, looking rather shaken.

"It is tough to think of Shri this way. I mean she still remains a child to me and suddenly it's like she has grown up and ...... She quit because of some boy? We better get over there and bring her home back as soon as possible......"

"Yes. I wanted us to go there, too."

"She even refused to have us over to help her. She told me and her father that she could very well manage with the packing."

Mythili started to call Shriya's father at his office.

"I will get Hemanth to book the tickets for today evening." Shradha hurried out into the lawn to find him. There was something light in her heart now, with the major part sorted out.


Inside the house, Mythili was narrating it all to her husband. Even over the phone, she realized he was listening with a frown on the other side.

They agreed that he should get back home early that evening, so that they start. And they agreed they wouldn't let Shriya know that they were coming.


After she ended the call, she sat for a long time on the couch, hoping that Shriya would get out of the whole mess unscathed.

When she got out of her reverie, she realized that Shradha was sitting by her, staring silently at her fingers.

"I just hopes she doesn't get too lonely out there. You know, on second thoughts, Shradha, I just want to bring her back home, away from any kind of pain or hurt that could ever get to her. It is fine even if she never works, as long as she is safe and happy."

Shradha just nodded, apprehension rising all over again.

1 comment:

PARIKSHITH said...

and the plot thickens i see....
i never thought it would take this path..... lets see then!